This page lists all pages which currently need Refactoring. Ideally, the list should be empty. :)
- VimNotes needs some markup cleanup and encoding-related corrections
- UnicodeNotes – proper conversion to new markup (it’s a messy mishmash) then editorial cleanup
- All of the stuff on Samba needs to be organized.
- The stray stuff on Apache needs to be pulled together.
- LinuxRouterBox -- split out meat to pages like SelectingADistribution, GettingLinux, PartitioningSuggestions etc, reduce page to a "read these in order" sign post. Reduces redundancy and improves depth of information.
- A lot of the cryptography stuff could stand to be more coherently organized. CalculatedTrust, CertificationAuthority, GPG/PGPNotes, KeyValidity, ValidityTrust, SigningAKey, PGPGlobalDirectory, OwnerTrust, OpenPGP. Pretty much all of CategoryCryptography.
- A lot of the virtualization stuff could equally stand to be more coherently organized. Virtualisation and VirtualPrivateServer need to have their contents reshuffled; UserModeLinux needs a cleanup; and links about Xen are currently everywhere except on Xen.
- DNS -- needs to be converted to Wiki:DocumentMode, some stuff possibly to be split out. NamedNotes is a mess.
- SoftwareRaid -- the cautions against the HOWTO being out of date were obsolete; and the HOWTO now seems to refer to the "new" mdadm tool throughout. Seems like the stuff on SoftwareRaid is thus mostly redundant? Needs some investigation to be decided. -- But there are also RaidOnLinux and RaidNotes with a large amount of overlap. They should be fused; some the stuff should probably go into RAID and the rest into a RaidHowto.
The whole Mozilla conglomerate is a mess. MozillaMail has loads of notes that do not belong there. MozillaNotes has notes about both browsers and mailclients. Some of them are duplicated in MozillaThunderbirdNotes and in MozillaFirefoxNotes.
Most of the notes on browsing are interchangeable between both browsers, and ditto for the notes on the mailers.
Plan: remove MozillaNotes, MozillaFirefoxNotes and MozillaThunderbirdNotes, distill into MozillaBrowserNotes? and MozillaMailerNotes?.
Check backlinks on Mozilla for whether more changes are necessary.
- WiredEthernet might be removable. EthernetHub and EthernetRepeater are redundant. CSMA/CA needs a cleanup. There'll probably be redistribution to Ethernet and related pages.
- Java is large and incoherent.
- Should Nokia6600, P800 and other model-specific pages stay around? If so should they have a category? And/or follow a naming scheme?
- BashNotes has a Help, bash is listing my files weird! section that doesn't actually belong there.
- Stick ConvertingAnIntegerToaStringInCpp and CastingPointerToFunction together on some kind of ProgrammingNotes? page (needs a better name than that, though). New markup, too.
- DebianLinux needs to go entirely. Whoever is obsessive enough :) should fix all the backlinks and then drop it.
- CommonErrors seems to contain some not-so-common errors. Where should these go?
- CompaqEvoT20Notes is a complete mess.
- Much of DebianNotes should go into AptNotes instead so Ubuntu users etc get to pick it up.
- InitialRamDisk – needs some content.
- So does TFTPInstallHowto.
- HowToXFree86TouchScreenHOWTO and HowToXineramaHOWTO are the last remaining TLDP HOWTOs, because they've had actual edits. Figure out how to salvage the edits, then kill them.
These pages need little other than a translation to new markup, but they're large enough that that's a good deal of work in itself.
More thoughts required
How should CategoryPciDevice work? I don't like it as it is. And now there's a CategoryUsbDevice that works the same.
one day I'll write a decent plugin or something to integrate the pci stuff, but for now the category is the best way to keep track of all those pages. -- JohnMcPherson
Opinions on the notes/comments I've made on that page - CategoryPciDevice? - ElroyLiddington