The Internet Company Of New Zealand, then Asia Online, and then ICONZ again.
A NewZealand ISP.
- Started by Chris Thorpe and Jon Clarke (??) in Jon's garage.
- In 1994, they had around 18 dialup lines, and a 48K MDDS circuit. (Read some history)
- Charged started at $50/meg for email, and $10/meg for data. Dial up to Unix systems only.
- Expanded to Airedale St (next door to Telecom's big black building in Mayoral Drive, Auckland). IHUG were in a back room at that point connected via COAX Cable.
- Trialed PPP over 14.4K modems. Again, charged by data.
- Moved to Beach Road around 1995, acquired Kim Schienberg from Panix.com :)
- Acquired by Melco / Woodrow family (specifically Ron and Chris Woodrow) late 1995 / early 1996.
- Hosted the Auckland.NZ.Undernet.Org Undernet IRC server
- Moved to Emily Pl, Auckland CBD, Level 9 and Level 2
- Acquired by AsiaOnLine, with a name change.
- Moved to Philips Fox tower around 2000.
- Auckland.NZ.Undernet.Org was decomissioned due to repeated Denial of Service attacks in 2000/2001
- AsiaOnline? entered liquidation in around November 2001, was sold to Michael Spencer in November 2001 (Internet Solutions Ltd) later changed name to ICONZ Ltd due to The Internet Company of New Zealand Ltd not being part of the Asia Online sale and this name still being owned by Ron Woodrow.
- Moved back into Airedale St (different building though!)
- Insecure Creditors final pay out for liquidation in 2005
- Acquisitions include WebFarm (2004), 2Day (2005), IntelliHost?.
- Notable people: Jon Clarke, Chris Thorpe, Chris Woodrow, Ron Woodrow, Kim Schienberg, Rowan Smith, Terry Hardie, J Sean Connell
Internet Solutions Ltd (ICONZ Ltd)