The Waikato Linux Users' Group Incorporated (WLUG) run a community Internet server. This server (hoiho.wlug.org.nz) provides both public information (such as the WLUG Wiki and CVS repository) and private accounts for paid WLUG members. Use of the WLUG community server (hereby referred to as 'WCS') indicates acceptance of the following Acceptable Use Policy. Violation of any of these conditions will result in the immediate cancellation of the account(s).
- Accounts on the WCS are available only to paid members of the Waikato Linux User's Group. Access to these private accounts will be provided by secure shell (SSH) or file-transfer-protocol (FTP).
- Members are prohibited from transmitting on or through the WCS, any material that is, at the discretion of the WLUG committee, unlawful, obscene, threatening, abusive, libelous, or hateful, or encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any New Zealand or international law.
- The WCS may only be used for lawful purposes. Transmission, distribution, or storage of any information, data or material in violation of New Zealand law is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, or any other statute. The WLUG committee reserves the right to remove such illegal material from its server.
- The resale of access to the WCS is not permitted.
- All activities on the WCS will be monitored and logged.
- All users are expected to select secure passwords for access to the WCS (suggested a minimum of 8 characters long, contain at least one non-alphanumeric character and not be based on a dictionary word or common name). Accounts found compromised due to insecure passwords may be removed by the WLUG Committee.
The following activities are specifically disallowed:
Participation in any illegal activity, including, but not limited to
- the distribution of illegal material (for example, pirated software, illegal sexual material, stolen credit card information and private third party data)
- using the WCS as a launchpad for any Internet attack
- Usage of excessive local server resources (including, but not limited to CPU, RAM, storage, bandwidth, file handles, inodes etc).
Running background processes without permission, especially:
- IRC Bots, Proxies, Bouncers, Servers or Screened IRC Clients.
- Other network services such as MUD servers, SMTP servers, game servers.
- Distributed processing utilities such as dnetc or SetiAtHome
- Circumventing administration tools such as idle daemons, time or traffic accounting or charges.
- Attacks on other people including, but not limited to spamming, DenialOfService, exploits, cracking, unauthorized port scanning
- Excessive breaches of netiquette
- Anything related to IRC.
The WLUG committee reserve the right to terminate your account for any reason what-so-ever, including, no reason at all. (This is not a right that the committee intends to regularly exercise, but the buck stops at the committee with issues regarding this server.)
Accounts are for WLUG members only. Accounts are only for the use of the user they were assigned to. Giving access to other people is prohibited. If other users are found using your account your account will be terminated and you will be held responsible for their actions.
The WLUG Committee will attempt to comply with New Zealand Police in any investigation regarding illegal activity originating, targetting or in any way involving the WLUG Community Server, or any related resources. Any suspicious activity may result in a cancellation of the account.
Violation of these guidelines can result in your account being terminated, and possible expulsion from the User Group.
The Waikato Linux Users Group Incorporated cannot be held responsible to the content of data passing through its community server. We recommend that critical or private data is not stored on the server. WLUG cannot be held responsible for any lost and/or corrupted data. Services are offered as a benefit of WLUG membership on an "as is" basis. The WLUG committee reserve the right to stop offering them without prior notice.