WLUG Committee Meeting
23 March 2005
Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened at 7.14pm

Present: GreigMcGill, CraigBox, JohnMcPherson, JamieCurtis, PerryLorier, GianPerrone, CraigMckenna

1. Minutes from previous meeting

Motion: that the minutes are a true and accurate record of the previous meeting

Moved GianPerrone
Seconded CraigMckenna

Motion passed

2. Matters arising from previous meeting

No update on Exim 4 books.

3. Correspondence

The organisers thanked us for our offer of support.

4. Treasurers report

The Treasurers report was tabled and accepted.

5. Reply-to munging on the mailing list

We see the technical merits of leaving the reply-to address of mailing list posts as the original sender, but WLUG is a public discussion list and most posts expect a public reply. We encourage all users to check the To: header before clicking "send" in their mail client.

6. Software patent legislation

WLUG will issue a statement to NZOSS offering their support in the fight against software patents. John will contact NZOSS regarding this.

7. Installfest

Craig in contact with Daniel regarding installfest location & internet access. Investigating ideas for quick distro installations. Need a PABX for phone line testing. Minimum PC standards will be enforced. Contact Recycled Tech regarding machines above that point/modems. Follow up on Ubuntu CDs. Craig to talk to Matt to prepare list of tasks. Leverage Firefox - potential Windows installations too.

Installfest sponsors sought to provide giveaways/spot prizes, food, table hire.

Other potential install targets - monowall.

8. Fundraising

Suggested topics: server hardware, school staff, library books, trip to, CD duplicator, test rig, projector, video/video streaming/video encoding.

Suggested fundraising topic: WLUG Presentation Centre - projector, video gear, PC/s to run etc.

9. General business

  • Mailing list archives currently have full email addresses - Craig to investigate with ITS.
  • phpLdapAdmin needs to be reinstalled.
  • Video from Exim presentation still in Wellington.
  • Approach Peter Guttman to present a talk on either Encryption in NZ, Security on the Internet, Security on Linux. Perry to email for May or June.
  • Greig emailled Nandor again. No response yet. We don't intend to email again.
  • New wiki theme required. Again.

Meeting closed at 8:24pm.