When I started my job, my job description said I was a SystemsEngineer.

What I do is not engineering. There is little in the way of strictly documented process, I don't use mathematical modelling, I don't "engineer systems." I have no faith that if I were to build a bridge, it'd survive a car, let alone an earthquake.

It definitely doesn't fit the definition "The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems."

So, I don't call myself an engineer. I tried to think of a new title -- "PC Solutions Specialist" is almost there, but it has the whole ring of "Petroleum Transfer Technician" about it. If people ask what I do, I say I'm a computer consultant.

LindsayDruett comments on this...

Look at a dictionary meaning that I found on

  • en·gi·neer

    • n.
    • One who is trained or professionally engaged in a branch of engineering.
    • One who operates an engine.
    • One who skillfully or shrewdly manages an enterprise.

A train driver was once called an engineer.
A person who is handy with metalwork is also an engineer.
A person who fixes cars is no longer called a motor mechanic. They are called automotive engineers.
Trade Certifcate is now called National Certificate in Engineering. (And Trade Cert was harder).

  • con·sul·tant

    • n.
    • One who gives expert or professional advice.
    • One who consults another.

A medical specialist is known as a consultant.
Your GP is a consultant.
A Consulting Engineer is a consultant.

I am quite happy with my title NetworkEngineer even though I am not a Consulting Engineer, (can't design road bridges that withstands cars or earthquakes), but I can design and build voice/data networks.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I don't really care what they call me, as long as they pay me.