Acronym for Stream Control Transport Protocol
SCTP is a reliable transport protocol operating on top of a connectionless packet network such as IP. It offers the following services to its users:
- Error detection and correction including detection of duplicated packets.
- Fragmentation to a discovered path MTU size.
- Sequenced delivery of data within multiple streams, with the option for order-of-arrival delivery on a per message basis.
- optional bundling of multiple user messages into a single SCTP packet
- Network-level fault tolerance through supporting of multihoming at either or both ends of an association.
This protocol is RFC:2960