Publicise and demonstrate open source to members of the Waikato public, encouraging them (depending on their interest) to take some home and try on their current platform, to experiment with a Linux live-CD, or to become aware of issues surrounding copyright and how it affects OSS.
Things to do:
- Book and confirm venue (Ian - agreement sent back signed to Kiwi Income)
- Contact journalists (print and radio)
- Write press release - Ian suggests at SoftwareFreedomDay
Looks like outside Whitcoulls in Centreplace.
Things we need personally:
- free meals for helpers
- a consistent, agreed message to put across
- uniform dress (SFD or NZOSS sponsored shirts?)
Things to display:
Things to give away?
- CDs - SFD to provide some
Perhaps have a draw prize for people who sign up on the day?
Things for us to get out of it:
- publicity, new people to attend meetings, use ML/forums
- new members ($20 sign-up, apply to upcoming 2006-2007 year?
- News media coverage