The Dynalink ALE070 is a USB connected modem with a GlobeSpan Virata chipset. Fortunately, this chipset is fairly well supported by the ECIADSL project, and this modem has been used successfully overseas.
The documentation is quite thorough, and setup doesn't take long. Binaries are available for many distributions.
Ubuntu 5.04 installation from source
- Ensure gcc(1), make(1), and similar are installed
- Install kernel headers with
apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.10-5
- Download the source archive with
- Extract the archive with
tar -jxf eciadsl-usermode-0.10.tar.bz2 and then
- Edit the package control file with
vi debian/control and remove the pppoe dependency on line 10
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b to build a package
cd .. and install the new package with
dpkg -i eciadsl_usermode_0.10.i386.deb
The system can be configured with
- Remember to set VPI to 0 and VCI to 100
- Use the default synch01.bin
- Set the PPP mode to LLC_RFC2364
- Enter your JetStream username and password
- Save the config
The link can be brought up by running
Any problems, please refer back to the project website and documentation.